Old 11-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Hal

Default Turning compost pile a bit difficult

On 11 May 2004 13:50:39 GMT, Ignoramus27199
wrote:

I have a compost pile, which is comprised of chicken manure, old
leaves (which I use as litter in the chicken coop, so they are well
mixed with manure), and some grass clippings. All good so far. My
problem is that most compost pile information websites recommend
turning over compost, and it is quite difficult as it is heavy and
stuck together. Is turning over really essential?

The heat of composting materials is generated in the center of the
pile. Composting of the center will take place if the pile isn't
turned, but the outside edges will contain uncomposted materials and
one thing you don't want is live weed seeds that find their way to the
edges of the pile.

One method of turning is to have side by side bins so the compost can
be shoveled from one bin to another. My personal favorite is a
barrel composter, but I'm reduced to buying mine from the city's
recycle center. I wish you the best of luck with your efforts.

Regards,

Hal