Old 11-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Al Dykes

Default tomato leaves eaten....

In article ,
Larry Blanchard wrote:
In article ,
says...
Would putting a cut open container around the plants reduce the
chewing? We have no such thing as that hornworm but I do find a
little plastic barrier slows some creatures down. Especially the darn
birds that like to break the stems. One can then use bait that's out
of reach of animals too.

I use coffee cans half buried around my tomatoes. Seems to stop
both hornworms and cutworms, and I suspect slugs as well. Also
handy for watering - just fill the can :-).

Doesn't the can constrain the roots ? They can't expand
horizontally until they get below the edge of the can.

--
Al Dykes