Old 11-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Katra

Default tomato leaves eaten....

In article .net,
(Rez) wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to control rats without poisoning?
Traps dont' work. Rats are too smart.

Where I lived before, we got invaded by roof rats, which are so
prolific that traps and poison are a waste of effort. But every
morning I'd find 5 or 6 drowned in the dogs' water buckets, and
several more killed by one of my dogs (I breed Labradors). If there's
no other open water, you can lure 'em into big buckets or small
garbage cans with a foot or so of water in the bottom, deep enough
that they fall in when they try to drink, and enough water down there
that they can't get out so they eventually drown. (And no, I have
absolutely no sympathy for suffering rodents.

Or get a Jack Russell terrier and don't feed it, so it has to hunt.
They're good rat dogs and have no qualms about eating rats.

~REZ~

I've considered that...

Will they eat chickens?
Most of the rats are in the henyard which is why they are here.
Plenty of food. :-(

That is why a water trap would not work unless I dumped water containers
every night. We do find them drowned in the emu's water buckets now and
then!

Kat

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...