Thread: [IBC] Osmocote
View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  
Old 11-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Osmocote

Why, I've been using Osmocote for years, with no problem!

Actually, at the lab, we saw lots of problems with Osmocote. Growers who can mix a fertilizer solution and apply it at the right dose somehow could not manage to put the correct dose of Osmocote; something about those round shiny pellets hypnotized them,
and they'd add too much, then ask us why the foliage was burned.

The main problem is putting it on too early in spring; the fertilizer is released, but not taken up by plants; it gets converted to Ammonium (see previous post) and volatilizes, causing foliage to burn. Again, this is a greenhouse or hoophouse problem, wh
en air circulation is not good.

Nevertheless, I've been using Osmocote for years, with no problem, because I don't put excessive amounts on my plants. But any fertilizer is fine; I'll just point out that since most bonsai are not planted in actual authentic soil, that bonsai fertilizer
should include micronutrients like Mg and Mn, etc., that are normally present in soil, but not present in many nonsoil mixes.

Nina

************************************************** ******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by John Quinn++++
************************************************** ******************************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++