Old 11-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Taxonomy

In article , P van
Rijckevorsel writes
I am afraid I don't understand this one.
It seems to be using Betula alba as a current name?
PvR

I think he's referring to the Synonymy of the French Flora at INRA
(URL:http://www.inra.fr/Internet/Centres/...df/consult.htm
#Recherche).

This doesn't give a complete classification - only taxa found in France
- but has some utility for tracking down synonyms of European (and
naturalised) species. (I've found some synonyms for Malva and Lavatera
species here that are (were?) missing from IPNI.)

The web page has accepted taxa emboldened. It turns out to use Betula
alba instead of Betula pubescens (presumably instead of rejecting Betula
alba as a nomen ambiguum, or whatever the terminology is); Betula pendul
is also recognised. Betula alba is used that much nowadays, but Tilia
vulgaris, which I believe is a similar case, still gets a fair but of
usage.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info/