Old 11-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default unusual problem

The message
from "shannie" contains these words:

Need lots of suggestions for solving this one please.We were supposed to
move house at the end of this summer but things have gone much quicker than
we thought and we're moving in 4/6 weeks. Tomatoes are nestling happily in
growbags and we have some canes in to support them. The greenhouse is to be
dismantled and reassembled and all it's contents are to be moved along with
it. However, as we thought we'd be at the end of the season we hadn't
forseen a problem but now we're not so sure. Moving the growbags should be
ok if we slide some timber underneath, but I think they're going to be too
tall with the canes to get through the door. I could take out the big ones
and put in smaller ones for the time being but Im not sure how big the
plants will be in 6 weeks time. Given they are about 12" now (moneymaker)
just getting them through the door could be a problem. I'm for taking out
the canes and using something else, but what else? Ive seen pics of these
'growbag holders' with a trellis like thingy attached (In the greenhouse
expert) but can't find any in any of the Irish garden centres. Any ideas,
suggestions would be most welcome. Oh, and anyone in Ireland looking for
nice cucumber (petita) plants give me a shout Im not going to manage these
this year and have half a dozen looking for a good home.

Tomatoes. (leaving aside my loathing of Moneymaker....) make tripods of
three short canes and drop a string of gardener's twine (rough green
stuff) to gro-bag level, add about three inches and cut off.

Carefully, tie a thumbknot round the base of the stem, and wind the
twine up the stem to act as a support, and tie it up at the top of the
tripod.

Your tomato can grow out of the top a little, so you don't have to do
this at the last moment.

Also, you can put each gro-bag on a piece of chipboard, MDF, ply or even
hardboard, and for travelling, tie baling twine, gardener's twine under
the gro-bag and tie to the top of the tripod to support it in transit.
(Or Bedford?........)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/