Old 12-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Cereus-validus

Default Hyacinth from Seed?

The unlimited possibilities can boggle your mind if you let it. Try to
decide on one that would be the least amount of work for you and most
beneficial for germination of the seeds. Let nature do the stratification
for you and learn to be patient. It will be years before you can get flowers
from seed no matter how you obsess over what to do.

Read a book on bulbs and how to propagate them from seed. If you do a Google
search you might even find a website to two on the subject.

Sorry, didn't see you original post.

"John McGaw" wrote in message
Reply inline:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
. ..
That's not the reason why growing bulbs from seed is a bad idea.

The primary reason is that many of the popular bulb cultivars are

sterile
hybrids and do not produce seeds.

If they are fertile and produce seeds, hybrids typically do not breed

true
and the offspring usually do not look like the parent and may be

inferior.

Growing species bulbs is the best way to propagate them because many do

not
multiply quickly from natural division of the bulbs.

The problem is that seeds of many bulbous plants are not commercially
available anyway.

Do you know of a source for Hyacinth seeds?

As I said in my original post, I've got expensive hyacinths that bloomed
most spectacularly this spring and many of them set seed and now have

large
seedpods developed. My assumption is that when they fully develop (and

dry?)
there will be seeds in them. My problem is that after that I don't have a
clue as to what to do with them. Plant them now? Store in refrigerator and
plant in the spring? There are an almost infinite number of permutations

of
handling and conditions that might be necessary and I was just hoping that
someone might provide some guidance to get me started in the right
direction.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

"John McGaw" wrote in message
I know that there are frequent questions about the

possibility/advisabilty
of raising daffodils from seed. And the answer usually is "yes you can

but
the bulbs are so cheap why would you bother to wait years for flowers

from
seeds?" Well, my question is a parallel but involves hyacinths. I

planted
some fairly pricey bulbs from a local garden center last autumn and

the
flowers this spring were spectacular. I'd like to have more of them

but
at
over $2 per bulb I'm not going to buy too many more. But a large

number
of
the flowers set seed and have large seedpods now. What would be the

process
of harvesting and planting the seeds? I realize that it may be several

years
before anything comes of it but I'd like to try it as much to satisfy

my
curiosity as to save $20 for a couple more bags of bulbs. TIA
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]