Old 12-05-2004, 07:15 AM
Katra

Default tomato leaves eaten....

In article , (Al Dykes)
wrote:

In article ,
Loki wrote:
il Tue, 11 May 2004 03:02:35 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

Can anyone tell me how to control rats without poisoning?
Traps dont' work. Rats are too smart.

I had smart mice who could remove the bait without springing the
trap. So for a while I baited it but left it unsprung so they'd get
careless. Eventually I set the trap, tied the bait on to make it hard
remove, put the trap between two objects making a corridor that just
fit the trap width (to cut down the space for manouvering). That
seemed to work. Maybe that would work for rats.

My mice like bannanas so well that I haven't tried anything else.

i worked out a trap setup that works great;

i get a thin board about a foot long and no wider than the traps. In
the middle I pound the tips of two nails (maybe 2 inch nails) just
deep enough to stay. Then I cut the heads of the nails off with wire
cutters.

Put Two mouse traps back-to-back on the board seperated by an inch or
a little more with the nails in the middle and the trigger ends
oriented towards the center. I use a drop of wood glue.

Cut a piece of banana and impale it on the nails, The skin
keeps it on. Cock the traps and put in along a wall. Put another
piece of wood along side to make a runway with no way to avoid
the triggers.

If a mouse is wiggling it's little butt while it's eating the bait
he's going to get caught.

Hmmmm... I wonder if I can get PVC pipes big enough to slide rat traps
into? That would protect my birds.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...