Old 12-05-2004, 07:16 AM
Loki

Default New Garden from Lawn

il 11 May 2004 15:26:30 -0700, (Liashi) ha scritto:

DigitalVinyl wrote in message

. ..
I wanted to establish new beds last year and now. Since I wanted to do
intensive gardening I dug up the dirt and sifted out rocks. I went
down 18" for my main tomato beds. Go as deep as you can and figure out
how deep your topsol is. I hit some clay which I removed. Other areas
I went 6-9" down--it *IS* a lot of work,

Only some clay? And it was actually removable? Lucky! We have so much
clay, digging 18" deep is out of the question. Unless you want to
break your back.

I have a feeling my garden plants would envy yours.

I have a friend who lives over natural volcanic concrete. I offered
to plant a shrub. Years later it's still tiny. I needed a crowbar to
break that stuff but all I had was a puny spade and my feeble
strength.

--
Cheers,