Old 12-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Glenna Rose

Default tomato leaves eaten....

writes:

Excellent! I really like the idea of a plant that comes down through a
family for multiple generations. A rose is much nicer than our family
plant (an apparently immortal philodendron that goes back at least to
the early 1960s).

I have two yellow rose bushes that I refer to as my grandma roses. When I
was a little girl, my paternal grandmother had one on each side of her
front steps. One summer, when my maternal grandmother was visiting her,
she got a start. After I was married, I got a start from my maternal
grandmother. Hence the name grandma roses, they came from both of my
grandmothers. I've moved the bushes twice now (when I moved). I have no
idea what kind they are. Though they don't last long, they are one of the
most fragrant roses ever.

They grow quite high though are not climbers and bloom mostly in clusters.
My other "family plant" is my lilacs. When my grandparents visited
Arkansas one year, they dug up a lilac bush from my grandfather's home
place. In 1976, I brought starts home to my house. Those also have been
moved twice with me. I call them my "Arkansas lilacs" because of where
they came from. They, too, are extremely fragrant.

It's cool that friends have asked for starts from both the roses and the
lilacs.

Many years ago, I had a Christmas Catus I took the start from from my
grandmother's plant (which I now have and is at least fifty years old).
For years, that little plant lived in water only, bloomed beautifully
twice a year, plant a very healthy green. Then during one of my
grandmother's visits, she noticed it wasn't in soil. She told me I better
plant it because it can't live in water (though it had for over ten years,
first in an apartment and then two houses!). Yup, you guessed it, the
plant died. No kidding, within two months, it was unquestionably dead. I
always said she killed it. It was happy in its ignorance that it needed
soil and flourished in the water.

Glenna
who moved her outdoor plants as well
as her furniture when she moved