Old 12-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Frogleg

Default Newbie question on tilling

On Mon, 10 May 2004 10:26:14 -0500, "JRYezierski"
wrote:

"Allonia" wrote
Tilling with a Mantis, Honda, Sears or any other
mini-tiller is about the
second worst thing you can do as a gardener. The soil is actually
pulverized
into the finest particles of the soil possible.
This will inhibit any and all possibilities of existing life forms of
earthworms and night crawlers to exist in the soil. Additionally, the soil
will compact to concrete conditions after the first rain!

What are you taking about????

I have never had any problems with the soil getting compacted after rains of
any type.

I am waiting for some organic purist to declare all agriculture is
damaging to the ecosystem, and we should become gatherers, living on
such roots and shoots as 'nature' provides.

"No till" farming has benefits mostly related to reducing soil
erosion. This is scarcely a problem in a home garden plot.