Old 12-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Frogleg

Default deadheading tulips?

On Tue, 11 May 2004 18:16:44 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
y.net...
It looks like my tulips are in their waning days. Should I deadhead them
or just let them die. I know to let the leaves go to provide energy back
to the bulb. Also, I have a bunch of daisy bunches coming up this year
thanks to the birds. Should these also be periodically deadheaded to
keep the blooms going longer?

I remove the flower stems form my tulips to make the plants look tidy but
there is no horticultural benefit.

Why not? Tulips may form seedpods just like daffodils, and one wants
the plant's energy to be concentrated in leaf-growing and
bulb-nourishing.

However, many tulips don't re-bloom reliably, so it doesn't much
matter.

Daisies? Yes, deadhead (or snip the bloom stems) for continued bloom.