Old 12-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Frogleg

Default Hyacinth from Seed?

On Tue, 11 May 2004 21:27:53 -0400, "John McGaw"
wrote:

As I said in my original post, I've got expensive hyacinths that bloomed
most spectacularly this spring and many of them set seed and now have large
seedpods developed. My assumption is that when they fully develop (and dry?)
there will be seeds in them. My problem is that after that I don't have a
clue as to what to do with them. Plant them now? Store in refrigerator and
plant in the spring? There are an almost infinite number of permutations of
handling and conditions that might be necessary and I was just hoping that
someone might provide some guidance to get me started in the right
direction.

I always figure seeds are meant to be planted when they are mature
enough to begin dropping to the ground. Of course, this may mean
growing outdoors in the conditions the plant is accustomed to -- i.e.,
some seeds require chilling. Don't know about hyacinths, but this
seems likely. I would plant some in a pot sunk in the dirt so I could
keep track of them, and keep others in the 'fridge to start out next
spring. I'm betting on the outdoor pot, 'though.