Old 12-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Jeannie

Default Growing Carrots

I have an allotment and want to grow carrots this year. All the other
allotment holders have been telling me of the menace that is "carrot fly".
I know about taking the carrot thinnings away from the allotment as the
carrot fly is attracted by the smell of the bruised foliage, but I wondered
if there are any more precautions I could take.

I have heard tell of earthing the carrots up to cover the foliage
completely, but I don't personally know of anyone who has tried this and
wondered if anyone here had tried it and if it worked. Also, how common IS
carrot fly?

Any help or experiences would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeannie

Sorry about the false email address but my actual email account was
inundated with spam everytime I posted in usernet so the address I now use
is fake