Old 13-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Richard Cline

Default How to keep raccoons away

In article ,
(rot13) wrote:

I am reminded of a neighbor of mine who found a couple large stray dogs
in his yard. He called animal control and asked them to come and pick
up the dogs. They told him that they were unable to come to his house.
He replied that that was no problem, he would simply shoot the dogs.
They told him that it was against the law. He explained that the stray
dogs were attacking his dog and he would shoot the strays as a means of
protecting his dog.

The animal control people arrived within ten minutes.

Dick

That's interesting. Our town justice used to be my son's baseball coach,
so
we had lots of time to shoot the breeze. Once, I was having serious
problems
with a couple of dogs destroying vegetable plants (digging within the
garden). The judge told me that as long as I did not violate firearms
laws,
it was legal to "reeducate" (i.e.: kill) such dogs. A couple of people
who
are not in a position to know these things argued with me about this,
and
asked me to confirm it. I was unable to find this in our town's
statutes.
Perhaps it's a NY state statute. I believe what the judge told me, but
still....it's interesting to know where these things are written, for
both
practical AND historical reasons.