Old 13-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Tim Nicholson

Default Grape vine assistance

On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:53:03 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Water profusely. (Your vine should be planted outside the greenhouse,
BTW, and be guided in, using something soft or which will push aside as
the stem grows in diameter.)

Having watered profusely, water it again.

That's interesting - I'd heard this somewhere before, but no-one was
able to tell me 'why' I should plant the vine outside. As we were
building a new greenhouse, I figured the ground inside (once you got
below the 3 inches of gravel and the anti-weed, water-permeable
membrane) was likely to be the same as that outside, and as anything
above ground was going to be inside the greenhouse anyway, it probably
didn't make much difference. So my vine is planted IN the greenhouse
(simply to make it easier to apply water to the root system near the
stem/trunk). Is this a major error?

I'll be installing an auto watering system in the next couple of
weeks, can anyone tell me how much water a decent size vine needs. I
intend set the system to water twice as day as I do now, but I'm not
sure about the amount. At the moment I give the vine a good sized
watering can - about 1.5 gals? - at each watering. Is that enough? The
plant seems healthy, and no signs of any problems so far.

Thanks in advance

Tim