Old 13-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Butterfly

Default runner beans

"martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:02:00 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
wrote:

"Butterfly" wrote in message
: Please don't laugh at my question - I've never grown beans before - but

my
8
: year old has just proudly bought home a bean he has been growing in

secret
: at school. We've planted it in a big pot and put in canes for it to

climb
: up - but is there anything else we should do? do the shoots need

pinching
: out or do we just let is grow as it likes?
:
: Grateful for any replies - 8 year old is bursting with pride and I'd so
love
: for him to be able to pick beans from his plant.
:
: L
:
The tip only needs to be pinched out when it gets to the top of the cane

(or
roughly as high as you want it to go) and then it'll thicken etc. If you
have it in a pot, it will need lots and lots of water once it gets going.
This will also help the beans to set. Dare I say, in case your canes are

not
really tall, that you should put something on top of the canes so nobody
gets a stick in the eye?

If you pinch the tip out how will it ever get tall enough for young
Jack to climb the beanstalk to the place where the giant lives in the
clouds?

Thank you for all the lovely, warmhearted and helpful replies - I always
knew that gardners were lovely people! this is obviously a newsgroup I shall
want to stick around and enjoy - hello everyone!