Old 13-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Peter Crosland

Default Growing abies koreana from seed?

I'm growing some from Chiltern's seeds. Seemed to germinate quite
readily from spring sowing last year, potted them to 3inch pots today
so it's going to be a long job as you would expect - it's a slow
growing species. Curious to see if any turn out like the compact blue
ones the GCs sell.

Thanks for that Rod. My understanding is that the bushy form originates from
Quelpaert Island and this is what I would expect to be the form sold by GCs.
However one that I had, from a supposedly reputable GC, was clearly the
mainland form since it grew as fast as leylandii and the trunk was nine
inches diameter at the base two years after I planted it. I called it the
cuckoo tree... The plant I have now is not a very good specimen having been
attacked by aphids but hopefully the seed will be OK.