Old 13-05-2004, 08:14 PM
tuin man

Default OT Customers from hell

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Rhiannon S12/5/04 8:05

There's no 'possibly' about it. If people are growing up with bad manners
and no respect for others or their property, it's the fault of their
upbringing, not our politicians.

I wondered if "upbringing" was included in John Edgar's;
"I think you can blame the education system."

Is not upbringing part of the education system?
His post did not define that point.

Take for example the info I posted about nursery theft (BTW, I meant the
your experience was dreadful,.. not the posting of it :-)
There have been times when upon relating this, the remarks that followed
seemed to indicate an element of admiration for the thief. It most be said
that those who are most likely to react in that way are now in the 60's &
70's.
They are equally as likely to voice such admiration in front of minors,
thereby providing some very bad education.
In the case of such unfiltered admiration, it follows that it can only
come from those who are evidently not fit to judge whether someone else was
clever or not.
It's nice that no one did that here.

What my follow up to his post was really getting at is that it is market
forces that rule our accademic education system and so if his definition was
purely centred on that, then because it is market forces that rule and not
teachers, then schools should not be blamed thus.

Unfortuneately, it is often a deluded *excessive* faith in market forces
that often leads to assumptions which revolve around ideas of meritocracy.
This in turn leads to assumptions that so-called educated people don't
behave badly. That it is the so-called (relatively) uneducated that are
easier to blame, which is why they are deemed deserving of poor pay and
status.
And such obsurdities need to be pointed out more often.

You might just as well blame Tony Blair or
John Prescott or Ian Hague or Charles Kennedy.

*Parents* raise children.

With a little help from *Society*

Patrick