Old 13-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default runner beans

The message jeIoc.86$6X5.34@newsfe1-win
from "Butterfly" contains these words:

Please don't laugh at my question - I've never grown beans before - but my 8
year old has just proudly bought home a bean he has been growing in secret
at school. We've planted it in a big pot and put in canes for it to climb
up - but is there anything else we should do? do the shoots need pinching
out or do we just let is grow as it likes?

Grateful for any replies - 8 year old is bursting with pride and I'd so love
for him to be able to pick beans from his plant.

If he's been growing it indoors, it needs to be gradually acclimatised
to outdoor life. It isn't frost-hardy, either, so beware of clear cold
nights between now and early June.

Janet