Old 14-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Ray

Default Preemptive Critter and Crud Prevention

I honestly don't know, Bob, but I suspect it's not 100% effective for that.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Bob Walsh" wrote in message news:QaIoc.39308$xw3.2540937@attbi_s04...
Ray,

Does the alcohol kill the eggs from scale and other critters?

Bob

"Ray" wrote in message
Matt,

Generally speaking, preventive chemical applications are to be avoided, as

they lead to the
development of resistant strains of bugs.

The best preemptive moves, in my opinion, are good observational skills

and attentiveness. Do a
periodic close inspection of your collection. It will allow you to see

such problems as they
develop and take quick, but minor action to get rid of the problem.

I find it good to keep a spray bottle of a general purpose, but relatively

innocuous stuff handy on
those inspections - I use Rise & Shine as it kills almost anything and

shines the leaves while
you're at it, but I know the manufacturer, so get a great price! Prior to

coming up with that, I
had a two-weapon arsenal - a spray bottle each of pure isopropanol and

liquid dishwashing detergent
in water.

The white stuff in the medium sounds like it might be a fungus growing in

decomposing medium, a
fairly sure sign that it's time to repot!

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Matthew Donadio" wrote in message

Hi all,

I am wondering what people do for preemptive critter and crud

prevention.

I started growing orchids in 1999 or so, and at my peak I had about 60
plants growing in my den under fluorescents and had won a few awards

from my
local society. About two years ago, I brought an off-bloom plant home

from
a produce store, and realized much too late that it was infected with

mealy
bugs. I was unable to control the critters (hesitant to use potent
chemicals because I grow indoors), and after a long infestation, I

declared
"uncle" and reluctantly got rid of my collection.

Sigh.

Fortunately, I got a nice bonus from my current client, and was able to
start a new collection this winrer. Currently, I have about thirty

NBS/BS
plants (phals, milts, and phrags) in the same den.

This weekend, I was watering my plants and noticed some crud growing in

pot (it was a white hairy mold, but I'm not sure exactly what it was)

that
some 1t/G Physan took care of. When I was looking at another plant, I
thought I saw baby mealy bugs (*^$$&&!), but my 18x loupe just revealed

the
I am just paranoid (but I am picking up my low-power stereo microscope

from
my mom just to be sure).

Let me reinforce the fact that I am a bit paranoid about Critters and

Crud
right infecting my orchids. What is the orchid equivalent of a tinfoil

hat?
Bathe in neem-oil?

I am curious as to what people do for preemptive plant maintianence for_
indoor_ growing. I could fog my den with a combo of Orthene, Dianazin,

and
Malthalion and water with 100% Physan, but that is a bit overkill.

My
primary concerns are human/cat health (ie, non-death) and preventing
breeding super bugs / super mold), but I would like to do my best to

prevent
future problems.

Thoughts? Thanks.

--Matt