Old 14-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Jay

Default Tired of bumping my string trimmer

(Shooter Dude) wrote in message . com...
I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot. It uses
0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time. When trimming against an
obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better? They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
of it.

Thanks for any tips!

use .105 string, with a cross profile (Not round) You'll last a lot
longer. Also, keep it bumped as long as possible (Don't let it get
down too short) and be careful how close you get to objects.

String replacements are not that great. The plastic ones shatter and
the chain ones can be scary.