Old 14-05-2004, 03:03 AM
RoyDMercer

Default Tired of bumping my string trimmer

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day shooter dude,

my brushcutter has a manual feed head, less parts to wear (on it's
second brushcutter now) plus i have better control over line economy.
there is a bit of an art to using nylon line no matter what the
machine, maybe take it a little easier and learn to work the tip of
the nylon, you can still trim grass away from concrete etc.,. and get
quiet quick and good at it just takes a bit of patience and practise.

i tried heavier line in mine at one stage thinking it would help with
heavier work but about all it did was make more work for the motor,
the motor needing to use more torque to spin up the line, it was only
the next size up line, but reckon i do heaps better with the right
size or slightly under size as the machine can spin it up easier and
hold its torque, just needed to back off on the grass load got the job
done probably not much slower. don't know about using chain? but
reckon ther could be all sorts of other problems there.

This is correct. You have to match the line size to the motor. When you
have a bigger motor you can run larger line which prevents having to feed
continuously. I run line size .095 which is recommended for my trimmer. I
only have to feed once or twice for my entire lawn.