Old 14-05-2004, 01:07 PM
VivienB

Default Recommended hand tools

On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:37:35 +0100, "tuin man"
wrote:

I have found something quite similar to the mush/beet fork on DoitBest.com
http://doitbest.com/shop/dept.asp?ms...&dept%5Fid=105
Scroll down to; hay fork scoop fork and then down to; Ensilage Fork ... To
me it looks like a short handled version of the potato fork.
Just imagine it with a long handle and 6 tines instead.
The 2nd manure fork on that page is closest to what I called a dung fork.
There are short handled ones also (compost fork)
On the Ames-tt catalogue, its description is

C/S 6 tine beet fork,

122cm/48" where length is not whole length, but from shoulder to top of
handle.
(product number F 305 DLH) sold in packs of 6 from the Whites Cross, Cork
address. No price given.
Mine is 158 cm in total, The tines are 8mm in diameter, 6 of them within a
30 cm breath, at intervals of around 7 cm and 40 cm long. The scoop is about
9cm deep and the tines are oval. (actually flat on the sides and rounded in
front + back, but more round at back..... might be from use)
The weight I don't know, but not light.

You are very kind to take so much trouble finding out all this for me.
Armed with this much information, I am sure I will have a most
interesting time (I love looking round what is on offer in such
places). It is always of great interest to know what a professional
gardener uses, since you guys have to work much longer and usually
faster, so show up any pros and cons much quicker.

If something looks right, I shall see if it feels right in my hands -
what suits one physique does not always suit another.

Regards, VivienB