Old 14-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default New growth turned brown! ROSES

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
I bought the roses from a very popular nursery, here in Portland Oregon,
that is endorsed by the Portland Rose Society. So I am a little confused.
Wouldn't they know the proper way to sell roses? They grow them at the
nursery, they offered to 'dig' up the roses if I didn't find what I

wanted.
I thought I was buying good quality roses.

Bare root plants are only viable during their dormant season. Bare root
roses in the PNW should be sold bare root until late February/early March at
the latest - after that they are in their growing cycle and need to be
planted in the ground or potting soil if at a nursery. And that nursery
should know that, if they have any kind of reputation. I'd definitely ask
for replacement plants, but not ones "dug up" - that is also very stressfull
to roses when they are in full growth mode.

Have you watered them at all? FWIW, I live only a couple of hours north in
Seattle and it has been a VERY dry and warm spring and I should imagine
Portland's has been very similar. You CANNOT rely just on natural rainfall
for newly planted plants - supplemental irrigation is necessary and this
year, essential. Even plants established in the landscape have needed
supplemental irrigation this spring - we are looking at a long dry season
ahead :-((

pam - gardengal