Old 14-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Richard Cline

Default Retaining wall + fence recommendation

In article ,
doolc-at-comcast.com wrote:

Have it done in the manner that gives the best result. You will enjoy
it whenever you look at the result. It will increase your home's resale
value.

Dick

I am looking at putting up a fence, extending existing that ends flush
with house to extend out several feet plut at angle (around electrical
and mail box) then to run along side of house giving 6-8 feet space
along side and total stretch of 60 feet. House is on corner lot
(small lot!!).

My original idea of installing myself seems to have gone by wayside as
project has taken on life of its own. Before putting fence in, need
to build up ground with 2' tall retaining wall for majority of stretch
(60 feet).

Quotes given to me by contractors ranged from 2100 to 2600 (ProGrass
was at $5400 ouch) for a ManorStone (MutualMaterials) retaining wall
and wooden fence. After selecting one contractor, as I have made
inqueries about small changes, such as wanting 6' fence for 15 foot
stretch, then rest 5', the cost for materials keeps edging up.

QUESTION: To help keep cost down, should I consider pressure treated
wood as a form of retaining wall instead of the ManorStone? It would
definately give me more yard room as ManorStone is 12" deep + extra
setback needed for posts. With my back, digging and lifting are not
what I dream of (more like nightmares), so was also reason of
selecting contractor.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Clayton.