Old 14-05-2004, 04:05 PM
David Ross

Default Retaining wall + fence recommendation

Dooler wrote [in part]:

Before putting fence in, need
to build up ground with 2' tall retaining wall for majority of stretch
(60 feet).

A retaining wall must be engineered to hold back the mounded soil.
This requires below-ground footings and might require some steel
rebar. Sometimes, the wall is best sloped back against the soil
its holding.

In some jurisdictions, even a 2-foot retaining wall requires a
permit and inspections. This is NOT bureaucratic obstructionism.
The failure of a retaining wall can be an awful mess if not a real
disaster.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/