Old 14-05-2004, 06:25 PM
Sacha

Default OT Customers from hell

D Russell14/5/04 2:12
snip
I do hope for both your sakes that he doesn't return.

We hope he doesn't return, believe me. Because if he does, it will be with
mischief in mind, I think.

'tis best to try to
forget him as swiftly as possible, I find myself hating it when I let people
like that get to me, mind you I let far too much get to me, like the morons
down our road who insist on flytipping in the hedge where we all have to
drive past in the mornings, one day I'll get me camera . . .
Duncan

Ray has said that the things that 'got' to him most about this bloke was him
calling me an 'ignorant' cow when, in fact, I'd been perfectly polite in the
face of him walking his dog off the lead round our garden and nursery (we
didn't know about the swim in the pond at that stage) and the fact that he
rapidly realised that with someone so stupid, so truly oblivious of his own
piggishness, so lacking some vital spark in the brain or any idea of
decency, that Ray couldn't hope to win. Certainly, the yob left and quickly
but he certainly didn't leave having learned that he'd behaved badly. I'm
tolerably certain he returned to his pit determined to behave just as
horrible next time he gets a chance. Just occasionally and it really is
extremely rare, we get the odd comment that shows someone is jealous of
where we live and I reckon this bloke was a very advanced case of that kind
of thinking. Most people are just so nice, so appreciative of us sharing
our garden with them, enjoy the nursery, love the tea room etc., that it
really does make up for the very, very few 'nasties'.
It's now passed into history and will become something to laugh at and about
but it leaves a sour taste for a while.
We don't treat people contemptuously; we try to treat every customer with
courtesy, whether they're buying a tiny plant for 75p or some massive great
tree fern for around £200.
I suppose that it annoyed, infuriated, and yes, hurt me, to see someone
abuse our personal ethics as this brute did.

As to your fly-tippers, I think a camera is a good idea. Get the number
plates. Some years ago when I last lived in Jersey, young motor cyclists
used to roar past my house, among many others, every Sunday afternoon at
speeds hugely in excess of the Jersey top speed of 40mph. And then they'd
go down a lane that ran behind my house and those of others and do it all
again, over and over and over. Eventually, I took to standing in my gate
with a notebook and pencil in my hand, apparently taking down bike numbers.
I only had to do it for two weekends.......

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk