Old 14-05-2004, 07:04 PM
SugarChile

Default bulbs

You can cut down the stems anytime after the flowers are finished--in fact,
it's a good idea to do it, so the plant won't put any energy into making
seeds.

You should not cut back the leaves at all. You should wait until they turn
brown and wither before removing them. As a new gardener, this used to
bother me, but I soon learned there are lots of other things to do and turn
my attention to, and before you know it, it will be high summer and the
foliage will be gone.

You can plant perennials around the bulbs, so that their foliage will help
distract from the fading bulb foliage.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

"Larry" wrote in message
. ..
I planted some bulbs last year. After the flowers are gone how long should

wait before I cut down the leaves and stems?