Old 15-05-2004, 05:03 AM
Dwayne

Default What does it take to grow watermelons in Lower NY state ?

It depends on what kind of watermelons you want to plant. Sugar babies take
a lot less time to grow than Black Diamond.

You don't say where you are. Most seed packs tell you how many days to
germination, and all need the right temps to germinate.

You might try sometime, planting them inside about a month before you can
transplant them outside. You don't want to wait any longer, because they
have a "tap root". If you leave them inside too long, the "tap root" curls
around inside the planting pot, and I feel it will cause you to get the
wrong signals for when the time is right for picking the melon. I have
waited longer and had to water them all summer every second or third day or
they will die. Then when the tendril closest to the melon and its leaf
dried up I picked the melon. It wasn't ripe enough. I believe that the
reason they dried out too soon, was the fact that the "tap root" wasn't
given the opportunity to grown down and provide its own water.

Hope this helps. Dwayne

"Al Dykes" wrote in message
What kind of conditions do watermelons like and how long do
they take to grow from seed ?

--
Al Dykes