Old 15-05-2004, 05:12 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Mushrooms in my lawn.....

The message
from Lazarus Cooke contains these words:

Incidentally. xanthodermus is poisonous, but only some people are
affected.

As are A. pilatianus and A. semotus, though some people classify the
former as A. xanthodermus sub species pilatianus.

But it's a good idea to be damn sure that you know exactly
what it is you're eating. If you don't know how to differentiate
between these, and don't know what I've been talking about, you
shouldn't be eating them.

Yes, though they are unlikely to do any more harm than an upset stomach.

What is more worrying is that people who seem unaffected by them and who
habitually eat them may suddenly be subject to an intolerance of all
fungi. (Which is why I don't eat them, though I have done in the past.)

I don't know how far the intolerance goes, but it might possibly lead to
a bad reaction to penicillin-type antibiotics.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/