Old 15-05-2004, 09:02 AM
~ Windsong ~

Default dirty pond

"G & K Meyer" wrote in message
We are new to this pond stuff. So any and all help greatly appreciated.
I just went into the pond to bring up the plants we sunk for the winter

and
found most of my kitty litter that we used in pots is on the bottom of the
pond. Guess fish somehow got in and moved it out of pots. Any way to keep
them from doing this?

==============================
When my husband and I clean the gunk from our ponds we remove and hose off
all the plants, then pump the water out after filling a few $10 kiddy pools
(holds 150 gallons of water each). When there is little water left the fish
are easily netted, sorted, culled and put in the small pools which all
contain an aerator but no filters. We place the plants from the ponds in
these pools to give the fish cover and provide some bacteria to help control
ammonia. We hose down the sides of the ponds, then suck that sludge out
with a wet/dry vac. We hose it down a second time, suck out the gunk - then
start to refill the ponds. As soon as the "cleaned" pumps are covered with
water we turn them on to help aerate the water and get rid of the chlorine.
The kiddy pools have hardware cloth around them and a net over them to keep
herons out until the fish are returned to the ponds. Excess fish go to a
local fish store in exchange for fishfood or whatever.....
--
Carol....
"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be."