Old 15-05-2004, 04:12 PM
William W. Plummer

Default Help with redoing the lawn (sod on bad, rocky ground)

"Steveo" wrote in message
Timothy wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2004 00:48:32 +0000, Steveo wrote:

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
Quick fix: annual rye grass ("builders' grass") Good fix: any mix

with
a high percentage of "tall fescue" seed. It sends roots 2-3' down to
get water and doesn't get brown in summer.

Do you have a link to this tall fescue with 2-3' roots?

I've used a tall fescue called "crew cut" which is said to have up to 18
inches of root and 13 inches of mature hight. 3 foot... hmm, do I smell

fish story ..? lol

It might be a pasture fescue, would you plant that in
your lawn?

Tall Fescue was derived from a weed grass. You can find it in the Ortho
weed book.
Scotts has finally come out with a tall fescue, Rebel II is a label you'll
see, and I seem to recall a company named York having a product. You must
read the labels, looking for "tall fescue" only in the mix. Other fescues
won't help you.