Old 15-05-2004, 05:04 PM
FarmerDill

Default What does it take to grow watermelons in Lower NY state ?

What kind of conditions do watermelons like and how long do
they take to grow from seed ?

Watermelons like light sandy soil and heat. They will certainly in eastern New
York along the coast. It is easier to grow the short season "icebox" types than
the main season melons. Look at www.johnnyseeds.com/ . This is a Maine based
company which caters to northern gardeners. I f they sell it it will probably
grow in your are. Easiets and earliest that I have tried is the New Hampshire
Midget. A small 2- 5 lb melon. Not a lot of taste but pretty indestructable.
Seeds are getting hard to find.