Old 15-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Timothy

Default Help with redoing the lawn (sod on bad, rocky ground)

On Sat, 15 May 2004 14:50:41 +0000, William W. Plummer wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message
Timothy wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2004 00:48:32 +0000, Steveo wrote:

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
Quick fix: annual rye grass ("builders' grass") Good fix: any mix

with
a high percentage of "tall fescue" seed. It sends roots 2-3' down
to get water and doesn't get brown in summer.

Do you have a link to this tall fescue with 2-3' roots?

I've used a tall fescue called "crew cut" which is said to have up to
18 inches of root and 13 inches of mature hight. 3 foot... hmm, do I
smell

fish story ..? lol

It might be a pasture fescue, would you plant that in your lawn?

Tall Fescue was derived from a weed grass. You can find it in the Ortho
weed book.
Scotts has finally come out with a tall fescue, Rebel II is a label you'll
see, and I seem to recall a company named York having a product. You must
read the labels, looking for "tall fescue" only in the mix. Other
fescues won't help you.

Could you name one lawn type that didn't derive from a 'weed' grass? Just
because ortho claims it to be a weed doesn't make it true. What is a weed
anyway but an un-wanted plant? I would personaly suggest that anyone
planting grass should look for a mix of grasses. Tall fescue is not
perfect for all situations in the lawn.
All this talk a side, you still side step the real point of these posts.
You made a claim and have not provide evidence of your claim. I highly
doubt that there is a lawn type grass that will root to three feet.

Scotts Rebel II isn't a tall fescue, but a red fescue as far as I can
tell:
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/lawnchallenge/lesson2.html

Tall fescue description:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p.../tallfesc.html