Old 15-05-2004, 06:04 PM
FDR

Default Raised Bed Near Tree

"Seeker" wrote in message
In planting my first garden last year near a tree (the only place it can
go), I discovered that it was almost impossible to dig where there were no
roots. Some of the plants still did reasonably well although I know they
were competing with the tree. This year I would like to put in a raised
bed. Should I cover the ground with something like gardeners fabric first
so the roots don't invade the raised bed? Thank you.

Tree roots are pretty strong and I would bet that gardeners fabric wouldn't
have much affect. I have my raised bed near a tree and each year dig down
to chop off the roots invading my garden.