Old 15-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Damaged tomato plant survival/production?

ed writes:

I grew a Green Zebra plant last year. I received a free pack of seeds for
them when I placed an order with a seed company for some other seeds. They
made wonderful salsa, with diced avocado, sweet bell pepper, fully ripe
cubanelle pepper, thoroughly seeded and deveined Habanero pepper, sweet
onion, garlic, and cilantro. They made great tasting stewed tomatoes also.

LOL. Stewed, eh? Mine never made it that far except for an occasional
one in tomato juice (drop ripe/over-ripe/not-pretty ones in a container
daily for juice). At least half wound up in tomato baskets for friends.

Tomato baskets: Throughout the year, I pick up small baskets at Goodwill,
Salvation Army, etc., to fill with tomatoes to give away. With the
varieties grown, they look more like Easter baskets than veggies. Often,
I add a few sprigs of various herbs. People ask if I want the baskets
back, and I tell them when empty to fill them with something else and pass
them on. Sometimes one returns to me with goodies in it. Yesterday, a
friend who works at the drive-up window at the bank returned one which I
had given her with fresh eggs and herbs in it; she had filled it with
Creme-Savers which I love. I got the better end of that deal!

Nice page. I also have a page set up (well, partially). Sounded like a
good
idea at the time, but I never get around to updating/completing.

Thank you. I definitely understand about the updating since mine hasn't
been for nearly two years! LOL

It was great to have it made, however, because I have it local on my iBook
so was able to show my grandmother the garden. She and Grandpa farmed and
made at least weekly trips from the Yakima Valley to Portland Farmers'
Market (when it was a *real* farmers' market with trucks full of produce
for stores/restaurants). That was way back when what is now I-84 wasn't
and the highway went through Crown Point, etc. (Yup, I can remember that
far back.g) We'd leave their place shortly after midnight to get to
Portland early; the early arrivers sold out while late meant maybe not
selling. They always had top-notch produce so always sold everything. It
was quite an experience for a young child. How I wish I had photos of it.

Please keep it posted on your special-attention tomato plant. :-)

Glenna