Old 15-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Recycle builders bag for compost container? - update

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

I unded up just shaping the bag with four garden canes - the stuff going

in
kept the bag in shape.

Now full (but compacting) and steaming in the middle.

I managed to virtually fill it with two mowings from the lawn,

Good Heavens! You must have a huge lawn ...

I am putting in a layer of veggie matter then a layer of spent compost;

this
seems to work O.K.

The spent compost contributes worms,

The worms will get in withut the spent compost ...

but the centre of the heap is really
cooking - won't this cook the worms as well?

They're not daft and they're temperature sensitive so won't go where it's
too hot.

[Mmmm....steamed worms...mmmm]

My hens prefer them raw. although oddly enough they won't eat worms from the
compost heap - which aren't normal earthworms.

Last layer to go in was excess weed from the pond - a surprising amount.

Yes, its growth rate suddenly goes exponential at this time of year ...

I think we are due to remove some sediment from the bottom of the pond as
well - I assume that if I bucket it out carefully then the pond will

settle
out again fairly soon.

It will. But the weed will grow again.

Now looking for a place to put a second bag, but I have run out of hidden
corners.

Where there's a will ...

Mary

Cheers