Old 15-05-2004, 08:04 PM
The Independent

Default Growing poppies legal?

The only poppy that is illegal that I know of is the species
Papaveraceae, Papaver Somniferum L. native to southeastern Europe and
western Asia. Opium is gathered from the immature seed pods
a week or so after flowering. The pods are cut with a knife and
the latex sap is collected for the opium. Supposably the fully
developed seeds are not narcotic but recent tests have proven that to be
false. Very sensitive urine tests have detected the opium component of
the seeds.

In fact it is now know that all poppies will produce opium though in
much smaller amounts than the Papaver Somniferum.

Poppies are not illegal to be grown in the United States however
the seed and the plant of Papave Somniferum has been banned for import.

The Independent

"Brigitte J." wrote:

"Ignoramus12481" wrote in message
Now that we have a nice garden and orchard, one plant I am thinking
abou tplanting is poppies, because they are cute. Is it legal?

I can't imagine it being illegal. It is the state flower for California.

Brigitte