Old 15-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Recycle builders bag for compost container? - update

The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

Now full (but compacting) and steaming in the middle.

I managed to virtually fill it with two mowings from the lawn, but I mixed
in some old potting compost from last year and the whole thing seems to be
working at the moment.

I am putting in a layer of veggie matter then a layer of spent compost; this
seems to work O.K.

The spent compost contributes worms, but the centre of the heap is really
cooking - won't this cook the worms as well?

Yes :-(
We had a discussion about that today.

I've got a huge population of worms in my worm bin and am about to turn
the current compost heap into the adjacent bay of pallets. So, we
discussed when to add bin-worms to the heap.

At the moment, the top of the compost heap is pretty hot, cooking fresh
layers of grass cuttings, sheep muck, comfrey, weeds and seaweed. If I
add worms now, they'll get fried. When I turn the heap, it will be
capped off and a new one started. Once the turned one is cool, worms
from the worm-bin will be added to the top and left to do their thing.

Janet