Old 15-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Kay Easton

Default Mushrooms in my lawn.....

In article , Frogleg
writes
On Sat, 15 May 2004 03:29:56 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Depends on the variety. There are (about) 36 species of Agaricus in the
British Isles, 34 of which are safe to eat. If the base of the stipe
turns bright yellow *IMMEDIATELY* it is cut, avoid the mushroom, it
might make you ill.

You seem to know quite a bit about mushrooms, so I'm surprised you'd
offer a somewhat folkloric method of determining safe edibility.

That wasn't a folkloric method. Rusty was talking specifically about
Agaricus, and warning against the Yellow Stainer, one particular species
of Agaricus.

If he'd been saying 'if a fungus stains yellow it's poisonous, but if it
doesn't stain yellow it's safe' then I'd agree with you comment, but he
wasn't!

Mind, I think I'd take issue with him on the assumption that the OP
knows it's a mushroom (ie an Agaricus). I'd never advise anyone to eat
anything they found growing in their lawns, on the basis that there is
at least one poisonous fungus that is commonly found in lawns.

I was
taught that one should be able to reliably identify a wild-growing
mushroom in at least 2 detailed reference books, and/or the help of an
experienced expert.

I'd always tell someone else to seek an expert, and for myself I make
sure I can identify it in two books, ad that there aren't any poisonous
species that I could confuse it with - which cuts down my variety of
mushroom eating somewhat, but a least I'm still here!

"Might make you ill" is a very mild description of
the symptoms of mushroom poisoning. :-)

I think that was deliberate understatement. A british form of humour
which doesn't work very well across usenet ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: