Old 16-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Aaron Hicks

Default Question - Bare Root Orchid Plants

Although not a proper rooting solution, my own "solution" to
rootless plants is a modification of the "sphag and bag" technique
advocated by some.

What I have done is filled large plastic bag (about gallon sized)
1/3 of the way with soaking wet bark. The orchid gets some sphagnum
wrapped around its base, and is then put into the bag. The leaves either
stick out, or are completely out, depending upon how desiccated the plant
is. Every 2-3 days, I mist some fresh "SUPERthrive" solution + weak
fertilizer onto the sphagnum.

Check weekly for new growth and roots.

I like this a little better than other techniques, as it gives the
plant a bit more circulation, and reduces the chances of rot, IMHO. For
the bag, I've used polypropylene bread bags; they've worked well for me.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ