Old 16-05-2004, 03:03 AM
zxcvbob

Default Growing poppies legal?

Ignoramus12481 wrote:

Now that we have a nice garden and orchard, one plant I am thinking
abou tplanting is poppies, because they are cute. Is it legal?

Of course they are legal! [wink wink] IANAL, but it would only be
illegal to grow them if you knowingly grew a species that produces
opium, with intent to harvest the opium. Breadseed poppies are an opium
poppy, but I read somewhere that they only produce miniscule and
insignificant amounts of opium (about as much as any other poppy) in
North American climates, so you should be fine [wink wink]

Or just grow shirley poppies or oriental poppies instead of Papaver
somniferum.

Sorry, I seem to have something in my eye,
Bob