Old 16-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Timothy

Default Mantis tiller carb/starting questions

On Sun, 16 May 2004 00:38:01 -0400, Access4Less Email wrote:

I have a Mantis 20 2-cycle tiller that I am working on for my Aunt. I
cleaned the entire carburetor today with carburetor cleaner, and I put a
new fuel line with a new fuel strainer in the fuel tank. I also completely
cleaned out the fuel tank as well.

It acts like it will not pull gas into the carburetor from the fuel tank.
Does anybody have any insight into what I might could do next? I can't
imagine that the carburetor diaphragm would be so bad that it wouldn't
pull gas in.

I sure would appreciate any help you can give me. Please email me at
with responses. Thanks!

When you said that you cleaned the whole carburetor, does that mean you
took it off the engine? If so, then you'll need to purchase the seal kit
for it. You may want to get the complete carburator seal kit which
includes the needle float also. It's quite possible that you have the
supply line connected to the wrong tube under the squeeze bulb. Switch the
tubes around and see what happens.
The mantis engine is basically the same engine that echo uses for their
string trimmers. The output shaft is in a different place, but all else is
the same right down to the air filters. I believe that the mantis has the
zamma carburator. I was told that echo treats the carburator as a
maintaince item now and that they need to be changed ever 100 hours!!
That's a bunch of B.S for us customers but the carburator replacement is
around 40 dollars. It wont put you into the poor house to fix it but it's
sad that quality has gotten so low with things nowadays.....

Btw, it's bad form to for ask help in a public forum and then request that
answers be sent to you via email. When that happens no-one else get's the
information and mis-takes can not be corrected or debated. Hope you stop
back here to see your replies......