Old 16-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Mushrooms in my lawn.....

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

/snip/

I'd always tell someone else to seek an expert, and for myself I make
sure I can identify it in two books, ad that there aren't any poisonous
species that I could confuse it with - which cuts down my variety of
mushroom eating somewhat, but a least I'm still here!

Very wise. It took me twenty years of collecting Amanita rubescens,
being absolutely sure, and then not eating them because of their close
resemblance to A. pantherina, before I actually did. And I never miss a
chance now. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

"Might make you ill" is a very mild description of
the symptoms of mushroom poisoning. :-)

I think that was deliberate understatement. A british form of humour
which doesn't work very well across usenet ;-)

No. That's about as strong as Agaricus poisoning goes. Around one person
in ten is affected, and the symptoms are nausea and sometimes,
diarrhoea.

However, I have found some evidence that the intolerance of the two
dodgy species can be acquired if they are eaten continually, and may
then result in a total intolerance to any mushroom. I would advise
anyone to leave them alone, even if they have been eating them with no
ill effects. (They are very easily confused with the horse mushroom.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/