Old 16-05-2004, 12:03 PM
JRYezierski

Default Till/no till

Excellent rpost.
Tilling properly for your particular soil is so true.
"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
You will find extremists in any phase of life.
When you till do it right.
Always try to be tilling into the soil more organic materials so that
instead of just pulverizing the soil you are improving it's organic
content.
There are plenty of decent cover crops out there and even weeds are a
good cover crop if you till them under before they can set seed.
Don't till wet soils unless your goal is to make adobe.
Vary the depth of your tilling or till and move the soil aside and
till again to double dig, otherwise you are likely to make a hardpan.
If you are tilling between rows set the tiller about an inch or two
deep and just till away the weeds, there is no reason to till full
depth just to get rid of seedlings.
Tillers sit idle a lot, clean oil is less corrosive, and running the
thing out of gas when you use it will prevent a lot of carburettor
gunk and varnish.
If you are going to leave some fuel in the tiller try to run the moter
every week or two.
These tools take a beating from vibration so going over them
periodically and tightening the fasteners is way easier than trying to
find the parts that fell off and got tilled under.
My first tiller has mixed concrete, dug trenches for water lines,
turned compost, tilled the garden and dug a section of my basement.
When the tiller parts wore out the engine found a new life running a
friends garden shredder.
And don't try to do everything on one pass.