Old 16-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Damaged tomato plant survival/production?

writes:
In article fc.003d094101c5b4513b9aca002e8c3c27.1c5b479@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:
writes:
I grow a lot of heirlooms some of which can be seen on my 2002 web page
(*very* outdated with the last entries made in August of 2002, lazy
webmaster here g). Scroll all the way to the bottom for thumbnails of
larger images of signs for friends who sell tomato plants.

Since you evidently know varieties -- what types of tomatos have
fairly solid flesh, relatively free of "tomato snot" yet without
those woody-textured areas some fleshy tomatos have?? For eating
raw, I like the flesh firm but not woody (and preferably not too
acidic) but can't stand the gooey stuff around the seeds.

~REZ~

All of the ones I've grown fall into that category. Much depends on when
they are picked (degree of ripeness). That year's growing conditions,
undoubtedly, figure into it as well. In my experience, the tomatoes with
the most solid flesh are Romas (definitely not woody) and nearly any
tomato used primarily for paste. They are not my favorite for fresh
eating but cannot be beaten for dried tomatoes or for "fleshing out" juice
and sauce. Remember, however, that I've been very spoiled with the many
varieties I've grown; it's difficult to choose favorites.g

For a brief description of many of the heirlooms, go to:
http://www.millenniumfarms.bizland.com/id12.html
That only lists plants they currently offer, but it will give you some
ideas.

The tomatoes pictured on my web page were those offered by Millennium the
current year that I had grown (and photographed) the previous year. They
are sliced to give an idea of the "seed pattern" so might be helpful for
those varieties. I grew many more than pictured, but those are the ones
photographed and "assembled" for the labels. The slices are the same
tomatoes shown whole and were put together with PhotoShop. It seemed only
logical to show the same tomato whole and sliced as that is the only real
comparison. There is no touching up done on the photos, only deleting the
background around the tomatoes and the slices, then putting the images
together (and adding shadows). Unfortunately, the year of the photos, I
hadn't used PhotoShop yet so only photographed those I had at least two of
the better shaped ones of the same variety ripe at the same time. If I
were to photograph them now, I wouldn't be so fussy about having at least
two because I could assemble the photos from singles. The shapes/sizes
vary somewhat each year dependent upon growing conditions.

Stupice is a good all-around variety, one of the early bearers, prolific,
flavorful (though *not* a brandywine or sun gold g), good for fresh
eating or cooking. If one were going to have only one variety for
all-around use, that would be the one to choose. It's a heirloom and is
very popular with those who know about it. I know several people who grow
only stupice.

Check Millennium's page, and that will answer some questions. :-)

Glenna