Old 17-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Bob Hobden

Default Sharpening seceteurs

"Mark Allison" wrote in message after Bob Hobden wrote in reply to:

I need to sharpen my secateurs, but I can't seem to find a sharpening
steel in any garden centre. Can I just use the kitchen one? Or do I need
something else?

Use a small sharpening stone or one of those fantastic "Pocket

Whetstones
with folding handles" by DMT.
http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/diam...mt_tools.shtml
Not cheap but nothing good ever is (and you could chuck away your

kitchen
steel then).

Thanks Bob, Looking at that website it looks like I should go for an
extra coarse stone. Do I go for pocket, mini, keyring, one with a
folding handle? There's too much choice. I want to sharpen the following:

Axe
Rotary mower
Secateurs
Shears
Pocket knife

An extra coarse for the Axe, Rotary Mower and possibly the shears, but a
fine (red?) for the others would be about right as they need a really good
quality cutting edge. (it's the one I use) The red one is also the one for
kitchen knives etc.

Got mine at a "Good Food" show Sue dragged me around, was a bit cheaper
there so keep a look out and you may find them a little cheaper. Maybe your
local good proper tool shop has them.
--
Regards
Bob