Old 17-05-2004, 02:11 AM
Bob Hardy

Default Grow rate of bamboo

Fargesia Murielae is actually a fairly slow growing bamboo. I don't know
about the thamnocalamus tesselatus. Mulch with whatever you normally mulch
plants with. Keep the plants relatively moist, but not soaking. The only
people I know who lost bamboo in the first year lost it because they let it
dry out. After the first year, it is more drought tolerant. Don't
fertilize for 6 weeks, but then fertilize as you would grass. It is hard to
over-water or over-fertilize bamboo.

------
Bob

New Boy wrote in message
s.com...
I purchased two bamboo's for my garden this weekend and I wondered how
quickly they would grow. My fargesia murielae is about 50 cm tall and
a clump about 15 cm in diameter, and thamnocalamus tesselatus only has
four canes (2 about a metre tall and two of 40-50 cm), just wondered
how long this will take to form a nice clump and if there is anything I
can do to encourage it to sprout more canes and thicken up.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I ordered the tesselatus via mail
order and did expect it to look nicer.

Thanks
Andy
--