Old 17-05-2004, 02:17 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default runner beans

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:
In article OPLoc.36$sh.26@newsfe6-win, Butterfly
writes

Thank you for all the lovely, warmhearted and helpful replies - I always
knew that gardners were lovely people! this is obviously a newsgroup
I shall
want to stick around and enjoy - hello everyone!

Join the happy circle Butterfly! :-)

Just one further tip to add to the good advice already given. Don't get
worried if the bottom trusses of the plant fail to produce pods - that
often happens with runner beans, it is due to non-pollination. Putting
it outside in 2-3 weeks time can aid pollination.

And another - while I concede that not everyone is convinced by this, in
dry weather it is said to help pollination if you spray the vine with a
mist of water droplets.

In a slightly haphazard experiment (mixed types of runners) I found that
it did help.

Best wishes to the 8 yr. old gardener.

Yes indeed! Catch 'em young and you'll have a gardener for life. But a
word of warning: once he finds the potting shed, you've lost him........

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/